Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patricks Day!

It's St. Patrick's day and cabbage and corned beef is on sale. I love cabbage but sometimes it seems so expensive. I always know that when St. Patrick's day comes along I should be able to get it way cheaper. And this year is not disappointing. When I was living in Hawaii cabbage could be over a $1 lb or on sale for $.89 lb.Since I am new to Arizona I am not sure which stores have the best deals. I checked the adds this morning and some stores had cabbage for as low as $.25 a lb!  I am stoked. There are so many things I like to make with cabbage. I like it in stir-fry, Thai curry, coleslaw, Chinese chicken salad and last night I made corned beef and cabbage.


Since I am new to writing about my cooking I didn't even think about taking pictures. So here is a picture of my leftovers. I will be better about taking pictures in the future.
I have been making it for years and I love it! This is a really easy dish to make. All that you have to do is boil the meat and vegetables. The package of meat comes with a packet of pepper corns and other seasonings. All you have to do is put the meat in a 6 quart stock pot, cover the meat with water, add the seasoning packet and simmer for two and a half to three hours.

One thing I have done different this time than in the past was that I rinsed the meat before I put it in the pot. I used to open the package and pour the juice in the water as well. Then the water would get kinda foamy. This was the reason that I decided to rinse the meat before I put it in the pan. There was no foam in the water last night!

Once the meat is done cooking I take the meat out to rest and put in the potatoes and carrots in the same water that cooked the meat. I let it boil for about 10-15 minutes then I add the cabbage and let it cook another 5-7 minutes. After the cabbage has cooked I take all the veggies out of the water and slice the meat. Serve up and eat!

Mmmm mmmm good.

Happy St. Patrick's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment