Thursday, March 22, 2012

Chocolate Chili Recipe


Aleks wasn't feeling well so I offered to make his chili. It might not have been exactly the same as his. Cuz, "No one can beat his chili!" We like the chili to be spicy but we aren't just cooking for ourselves anymore. We have his nephew and his mom to think of. They can't take too much heat.


I was excited to make the chili as I get to make this blog. I had made the beans earlier in the day. I grabbed all the ingredients and got started. We like to use Portuguese sausage in the chili but we throw it in the food processor so that it is small and we can have the flavor without the big chunks of meat. After the sausage has cooked for a little while throw in the the ground beef.


While the meat is cooking, chop the onions, garlic and jalapeƱos. When the meat is done cooking spoon out the grease and discard. Because we needed a more mild version I put some of the meat in a smaller pan and only added the jalapeƱos to the big pan. Then added the packets of chili mix and let all those flavors marry and well seasoned.


Once the meat and veggies are all cooked and seasoned then add the tomato sauce. You want to make sure that the meat is seasoned enough before you add the tomato ingredients because the tomatoes will absorb the seasonings and you won't be able to taste it. If you season before the sauce is added then the meat and veggies will carry the seasonings for a better tasting chili. If you are a vegetarian then the same thing applies. Make sure that your veggies are well seasoned before you add the tomatoes.


After adding the sauce then add  a couple squares of dark chocolate and the cooked beans. Let simmer for a little while till fully cooked and hot. Being from Hawaii we like to eat our chili with rice. I remember my mom asking me once what I was having with my chili and she got so weirded out that I ate it with rice. But it is sooo good.


We like to top our chili with a little bit of cheese and cilantro. Adds another level of flavor. I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment