Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Too Much Sugar!?! How Can it Be?!?

I had my final weigh in for my biggest loser competition on Saturday. I lost a total of 31 lbs in three months. I am really proud of myself. I didn't lose enough to make it into 2nd place but I did get 3rd. I am excited about that.

In my last post I talked about how I learned so much by using MyFitnessPal I have seen what I was over and under in my nutrients. The first thing that I noticed was that my sugar was over before lunch even arrived! How could that be? I had a Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal with fruit. That was all!

I made a video a while back about breakfast here it is.


According to MyFitnessPal I am allowed 25g of sugar a day. If I exercise then it is upped to 40g. I was getting concerned that I was over so early in the day. After breakfast where I measured my cereal and milk i was really close to 25g. I started to look at the labels and I realized that there was over 10g of sugar in milk, the same in the cereal and the fruits were very high in sugar as well.

I do believe that sugars naturally occurring in whole foods aren't as bad for you as processed sugars I still am trying to cut back on them. So for breakfast I switched to soy milk because it has half as much sugar as regular milk. I don't mind soy milk in cereal or coffee but I do not enjoy drinking a glass of it plain.

Lately I have not been eating breakfast. I have been doing this thing called intermittent fasting. Where you eat during an 8 hour window then fast the other 16 hours. So I have decided to stop with breakfast. I have noticed that it is way easier to eat less sugar when you don't have breakfast.

It seems that there is sugar in everything. So it is very important to read the labels and make sure that there is no added sugars. I always thought that yogurt was a very healthy option. I have decided to not eat it so much anymore. Most store bought yogurt has a lot of added sugars. So when getting yogurt make sure you read the label and find out where the sugar is coming from.

I have been reading up on this stuff and I read that high fructose corn syrup is bad for us. Our bodies don't recognize it and thus doesn't burn it. Then our bodies, after not burning it, turns it into fat and it is stored around our major organs. That is a scary thought.

Soda has HFCS. If the soda is diet then it has Aspertame. This artificle sugar is bad for us as well as it is cancer causing. For me, I want to give my body good fuel. I want it to be healthy so I am not going to put these things in my body. Most drinks, besides water, come with a lot of sugar or sweetener. Be very careful of consuming too much drinks. Water is the best. We need to stay hydrated.

Another thing that I have learned is that sugar inhibits the hormone Leptin for doing its job. Leptin is the hormone that tells us that we are full. I have noticed the days that I eat more sugar those are the days that I want to keep on eating. I also crave more sweet food on those day and end up going over my calorie allotment.

These are the things that I have learned about sugar. I hope that this was helpful to you in some way.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Christine, I think what you have learned is very interesting. I find that plain greek yogurt has less sugar and more protein..I also learned that fruit juice is a big source of sugar...You are right fruit has a lot of sugar, but if you eat the whole fruit you get fiber as well and notas much concentrated sugar. Diabetes runs in my family so I can't skip meals, but I do try to have protein for breakfast and limit the sugar.. I don't like milk so i rarely eat cereal...turkey bacon, an egg..whole wheat toast..WE jsut had company for a week and i was cooking every day...gained 3 pounds...now back on the program..I am proud of you for losing 31...I hope I get there in a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete