Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Breakfast Burritos



It's been a while since I have posted. I have been on a small road trip. Aleks' dad was here visiting. Since he was taing care of the baby we were able to leave and Aleks got to meet my family. We planned our trip according to the restaurants we wanted to eat at. So I have many blogs I want to write about those places. But first here is my breakfast burrito recipe I was working on before we left.


Breakfast is kind of hard for me to plan. A lot of the time we might talk about eating something in he morning and the morning comes and we decide we don't want that. I have been trying to eat more healthy but Aleks and his sister thought that breakfast burritos sound good, so I offered to make some. I pulled some stuff out of the fridge: eggs, portuguese sausage, cheese, potato, salsa, and cilantro.


I started off by chopping up the potato in little chunks and threw them in a pan with butter and oil. I use both at the same time so that I have the butter taste and the oil keeps it from burning. Once the potatoes have started cooking and each piece is coated with the oil I like to use my special seasoning mix. I like to use salt, pepper, crushed chili flakes and cayenne pepper. I might use this blend in pretty much everything I cook. It is just my favorite.


In a separate pan I put the chopped up pieces of portuguese sausage. I let the sausage and potatoes cook till crispy. If you wanted to you could use regular sausage, bacon, ham or any other kind of meat you want in your burrito.


We didn't have a cheese grater so I cut up the cheese in little strips. (We have one now.)



I got the eggs ready for cooking. I just added a little bit of milk while scrambling it. Once the sausage was done cooking I drained the grease and added a little bit of butter to the pan and cooked the eggs in that same pan. Season with salt and pepper. Once it is cooked about half way then I add the cheese so it can melt in with the eggs.



Then I put all the ingredients in the tortilla and fold it up. We like our burritos a little crispy so I put the built burrito in the pan to get a little crispy. I don't like to put any oil in the pan when I do this because it will get crispy without it and I don't want the extra calories.



No comments:

Post a Comment