Monday, June 11, 2012

Perfect Iced Coffee; Cold Brewed!

I have never been a fan of coffee but after searching online for the best iced coffee recipe for Aleks and learning about cold brewed coffee, I kinda like it now.

He had asked me to find the best iced coffee so I googled the best iced coffee recipe and I read a handful of blogs and they all agreed that cold brewed coffee, was better than brewing a pot and pouring it over ice.

After making this coffee I decided to try it and it was delicious. That first day I tried it I ended up drinking three cups and I don't normally drink coffee. So I got a bit jittery. When I say a bit I really mean WAY jittery. So let this be my warning to you this recipe is to make a concentrated coffee.


After we finished off the ground coffee from Costco I went to my new favorite grocery store Sprouts Farmers Market! They have a bulk section with a coffee bean section with many different coffee flavors. What I like about this is that I can buy what I need and use it and my beans are always fresh. But this will work with already ground coffee of any type caffeinated or not.


From what I have read it's best to have coarse ground coffee. So at Sprouts I choose my whole coffee beans then I put it in the coffee grinder right there in the store. They have many options from coarse to espresso. I buy one bags worth and it makes 4 cups of grounds and with that I can make two batches.


Here is what you do. Take two cups of the ground coffee and put it in a two quart pitcher and fill up the pitcher with water. That's eight cups. Then stir it and make sure all the grounds are fully wet. Sometimes they like to float or get themselves in little air bubbles. So make sure they are all mixed up and let soak for 8 hours or over night. When I pass by I like to stir it because the grounds like to either sink to the bottom or rise to the top. I also think that stirring it might help the flavor a bit. But I could be wrong on that one.


In the morning take a mesh strainer and filter out the grounds. I go back and forth a few times times to strain it out. You can drink it like this but it ends up leaving little granules on the ice so after I strain out the grounds a couple times I use a coffee filter to get the last little bit filtered out.


At this point you can make yourself a cup or you can put it in the fridge to chill before serving.

Now for me one cup is enough because I hardly ever have caffeine. If you are counting calories like I am then you gotta measure. If you are not then you can do it by eye like Aleks. So I take a 12 oz glass and fill it up with ice. Then measure out a half a cup of the coffee and pour it in then measure out 1/2 cup of 1% milk and add that to your coffee. I use agave nectar which does have calories. About 30 to be exact but I would rather have the calories than use sugar less or artificial sweeteners because our bodies don't recognize it to burn it and then it turns to fat. Anyways, I use 1/2 a Tbl of the Agave nectar. Stir all up and and enjoy. This cup is a total of 85 calories. I think this is an awesome amount of calories.


If you want to you can throw this cup of iced coffee in the blender and make your own frap.



3 comments:

  1. wow, that looks delicious!!!!!!!!!! Especially that last pic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I get home I will try this. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I get home I will try this. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete